Top Leather Shoe Benefits For Men
One of the best fashion tips for men is to invest in a good quality pair of shoes – the benefits of wearing full-grain leather shoes are vast, and even though they may cost more upfront, they will surely last you much longer than a cheaper alternative. In my latest post, I will examine the many pros of owning leather footwear.
The Top Reasons Why Leather Shoes Are Better Than Other Materials
Nowadays, there are lots of different materials that your shoes can be crafted from – rubber, canvas, plastic and, of course, leather. Each of the materials mentioned above has some benefits, but full-grain leather shoes will always win by a large margin.
- Leather is hard-wearing, durable and can last many, many years.
- Leather is naturally sourced and can allow your feet to breathe throughout the day; during its life, it will begin to mould to the shape of your foot, ensuring a high level of comfort. Artificial materials, on the other hand, lack the breathability factor and can be very uncomfortable in hot temperatures.
- Full-grain leather shoes are undoubtedly the most coveted fabrics, adding sophistication to your outfits and offering a high level of versatility, so you can wear a smart suit or dress down depending on the situation.
The Various Benefits Of Wearing Leather Shoes
History has taught us that leather is a material that stands the test of time and will continue to do so regardless of whatever synthetic materials we produce. They are big investment pieces, yet the benefits are very high, as shown in the following list.
Leather is undeniably durable, as seen in restored pieces from history. If you look after your leather shoes and they are good quality, they can easily last well over a decade with correct care, saving you a lot of money in the long run. When you are on your next shopping trip hunting for shoes, remember that a natural leather pair will benefit you financially but helps the environment too, with much less waste produced.
Genuine leather allows your feet to breathe that synthetic shoes can only dream of matching – the leather provides a high level of circulation, keeping your feet dry and cool, which is invaluable during the hot summer days or during any form of physical activity (essential for athletes). On the flip side, natural leather will help keep your feet warm and comfortable during the winter.
Over the course of their life, leather will slowly shape to the wearer’s feet, ensuring an almost bespoke fit and extra comfort. In contrast, artificial materials are stiff and tight and do not offer the same level of stretching. Consider this big point when investing in a new pair of shoes for your wardrobe!
Unlike its synthetic counterparts, leather is 100% natural and does not require additional resources during production. It will also naturally biodegrade over time (whereas plastic and rubber need an extensive recycling process to break down). Leather can still use help with disposal, i.e. donation or some form of recycling; its journey onward is much better for the environment as a whole, giving extra points to choosing leather footwear.
Extra Protection And Support
Natural leather protects your feet against elements such as hard surfaces and poor weather conditions. Leather insoles can offer excellent foot support compared to other fabrics, which is a massive benefit for those working in heavy-duty employment and even those in high-impact sports, which can help limit injuries. Leather is and will undoubtedly always be among the most popular footwear choices in the construction trade or sports industry.
Easy To Clean
Leather is effortless to look after and clean; often, you can use a damp cloth to remove any dirt or grime, finishing off with a leather polish to give them that new shine! Leather will give your outfit that much-needed touch of polish but is super easy to keep clean even after many wears.
Although leather footwear costs more up-front, over time, they will save you money (which, in this current financial climate, is invaluable). High-quality leather is tough and hardy, able to withstand daily wear far better than any other fabric. If you keep up with the maintenance on your new shoes, they will surely last you for years before needing replacing.
If you live in the UK, waterproof shoes are a necessity! Leather is one of the top choices; yes, rubber wellies have their place but can easily damage over time, whereas leather will not crack or break when hit with regular downpours. The next time the rain hits, grab your trusty pair of leather shoes or boots to protect your feet!
Leather Shoes Maintenance Tips And Care
After purchasing your new pair of leather footwear, whether they are a designer piece or an affordable bargain, it is vital to look after the leather to ensure they last as long as possible. Here are a few key tips to keep them looking fresh and brand new.
- Using equal parts alcohol and water, fill up a spray bottle.
- Spray a small amount onto the chosen area of the shoe
- Gently rub the solution into the leather; use a damp cloth to remove any excess.
- If the stain is stubborn, add a small amount of washing liquid to help with removal.
- Using old newspapers or paper towels, stuff them inside the shoes to help maintain the shoe’s shape and absorb any excess moisture that has built up.
- Blow dry the leather on a cool setting and at a safe distance (a few inches away).
- Apply a waterproofing spray to the leather to help protect against water damage.
- Remember to condition your clean pairs of shoes or boots.
- Apply a small amount of leather conditioner using your hands or a soft cloth across the entire surface.
- Allow the conditioner to sit on the leather for a few minutes, soaking into the material before wiping away the excess.
Using these tips, you can help keep your shoes sparkling for months, if not years.
Natural genuine leather holds many benefits, looking good, smelling great and lasting far longer than their counterparts. It is always advisable to have excellent investment pieces, and footwear is one of the most important in this category. If you are looking for a new pair of dress shoes, then genuine leather is what you need to add to your wardrobe collection.